Monday, January 3, 2011

Lost in Theatrics & Finding Fashion Inspiration in an Unlikely Place

Came home from school today with a migraine and a shitload of stress. Fantastic. Fortunately, a hot bath took care of the headache part. The stress, well, let's just say that it won't magically disappear. Only my fixed procrastinatory habits will change that. But enough of that. I'd have to say that, based on my many dramatic ramblings, most of you have probably already guessed the fact that I am a self-professed theatre geek. I'm currently involved in two plays through my high school (thankfully the thought of participating in athletics sends me screaming). The first one, our competition One Act play, is based off a fairly well known children's book: Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar. This lovely collection of funny tales kept me entertained for hours as a kid, and I can't tell you how fun it is to perform it onstage now that I'm 14.



My character is an elementary schooler named Rondi. She has the prettiest teeth in Wayside School, and her bubbly and overly-dramatic personality is one of the funnest roles I've ever gotten to portray. I can't wait to start competing; our cast is perfect!

My second play is a more casual school performance called Cinderella Wore Combat Boots. I hold the part of MAZZARELLA, one of the two conceited, evil stepsisters. How perfect! The role is a wonderful combination of humor and darkness. My favorite scene is that where I attempt to whoo the prince, and as I "faint" into his arms he dashes away to grab a cup of hot chocolate leaving me to fall to the floor. The outrageous costumes are also very much a part of this particular performance. I myself get to sport a beautifully hideous silk-and-plaid dress, paired with a denim jacket. How's that for fun? It's freshman year and I'm already making a fool of myself, my future looks bright! Oh, the places I'll go :)

While still on the topic of theatre I think I'll go ahead and mention the musical that I get to audition for in just over a month's time. Our school is putting on none other than the classic performance of GREASE! Could I get any luckier?



Though I don't expect to be cast as any of the major roles (hey, it's my first year), I do have a feeling that I'll make it in somewhere, be it the chorus or one of the minor characters. Guess I better start preparing my 50's-esque audition number, eh?


Moving on from theatre: It has recently become somewhat of a ritual in my household for my siblings to sit around the TV after school watching PBS shows. And, reatreating into the general homework avoidance mode, I join them. One show in particular that they happen to enjoy is the Electric Company. Now don't get the wrong idea, I haven't yet fallen under its spell. But what I have noticed with my artist's eye is that the characters all have a surprisingly unique and creative taste in clothes. Their outfits are vibrant and funky, with a colorful retro feel. I find style inspiration with every new episode I watch. Take a look for yourself:

  ( The number of incredible outfits that I could build from owning a skirt like that is infinite)

[20.jpg][P.jpg]

Photos are from here

I once read a story about a boy who had a remote that allowed him to insert himself into his favorite television shows. With technology like that, I would most definately have a clothing swap with Annie Scrambler :)

No comments:

Post a Comment